Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Attack on Darfur "Movie".



I recently watched the movie "Attack on Darfur" that was filmed in South Africa starring the famous actors Billy Zane, Edward Furlong, Kristanna Loken, Matt Frewer and Kazeem Kae-Kazim. 


The movie is based on the genocide and Janjaweed activities that went on in Darfur. I had known about the war in Darfur of course but this movie opened to my eyes to what was really happening in Darfur. I only watched the 1st hour of the movie and could not continue watching, that's how horrible it was, not because I was scared but because I didn't want to know anymore. It was literally a massacre in the Sudanese state of Darfur that brought tears to my eyes. 


They showed how the women were rapped which cut my heart into two halfs, they showed how the children were brutally murdered, how the men were instantly sent to death. Not just that but they were called "The living dead". The Janjaweed went around village by village murdering everyone brutally in result to what? "Race". Referring to themselves as "Arabs" & the victims as "Africans" and that they deserved death for that reason. 






Yet what made me stop watching the movie was knowing that this happened before our eyes, before every Sudanese person's eyes and we couldn't do a thing, as one of chiefs mentioned in the movie "Why do you arrive after people have died to give help?" I asked myself the same question. Where were we? 


If you haven't watched the movie "Attack on Darfur" do watch it, a heart breaking and conscious awakening movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment